Finnish Environment Institute | Suomen ympäristökeskus | Finlands miljöcentral

sykefi header valkoinen

Nautilus and old Aranda ships

Nautilus

Finnish Institute of Marine Research (FIMR) started using steamship Nautilus in 1903. It had been built for ichtyological and marine research, and stayed in use until 1938.

Nautilus.jpg

The First Aranda

In the summer of 1939, marine researchers started using the first ship called Aranda. It had originally been built as a passenger vessel, and was used for expeditions by schoolchildren. Before the outbreak of World War II, there was only enough time for one research expedition, and the vessel was 1945 handed over to the Soviet Union as war compensation.

SS Aranda.jpg

The Second Aranda

In 1953 the second ship, which inherited its predecessor's name Aranda, was ready. It was equipped with a diverse selection of instruments for marine, ichtyological and sea-bottom research. Although not an ice-breaker, Aranda was equipped to be used in the Turku archipelago during winter periods when ordinary ships could no longer be used, but the ice was too weak to carry vehicles. During the summer season, the ship was used for expeditions by FIMR until 1989.

Vanha_Aranda_Katariina.jpg

The Third Aranda

In 1989 FIMR received a new research vessel which was designed only for research purposes and which fulfills the requirements of modern marine research. Like its two predecessors, the ship was called Aranda. It is first Finnish research ship which is own by FIMR, and now days it is own by the Finnish Environment Institute.

Aranda_556.jpg

The research vessel was christened by Mrs. Raija Voipio, who was the wife of the chief director of Finnish Marine Institute. Christening took place June 15th 1989. The chief director was Aarno Voipio.

Arandan valmistuksen aikaiset esittelykortit

Navigator magazine writes about Aranda 1989

 

Published 2014-12-12 at 12:00, updated 2017-04-03 at 14:13
Target group: