Evidence-based knowledge to support sustainability transformation

© Kai Widell.

At the Finnish Environment Institute (Syke), we offer strong expertise and independent information on global phenomena such as climate change, biodiversity loss, overconsumption, pollution and eutrophication.

We enhance climate change mitigation and adaptation. We advance the transition to a sustainable circular economy. We support urban areas on their way to becoming forerunners of sustainability. We promote well-being through nature-based solutions and prevent biodiversity loss. We develop new approaches for reaching a good state of the seas and inland waters and achieving sustainable use of water resources.

Co-operation with partners is a prerequisite for our success. We bring our environmental expertise in projects and networks both in Finland and internationally.

We are a Finnish research institute, and we are governed by the Ministry of the Environment and the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. In recent years, 40 per cent of our funding has come from the Government's budget, while the remaining 60 per cent has consisted of project funding obtained from different sources for research, development and expert activities. Of our funding, we used approximately 60 per cent for research and development activities and 25 per cent for expert support.

Our offices are located in Helsinki, Oulu, Jyväskylä and Joensuu. We work flexibly in multiple locations including on the research vessel Aranda. We currently employ some 700 professionals.

Published 2017-05-12 at 9:49, updated 2024-01-04 at 8:53